27 October, 2006

HA!

There was a reading contest today for all second graders at S's school. They each received a text that they hadn't seen before and had to read it out loud and be judged on their performance by the teachers.

S came in fifth in his class. FIFTH! OUT OF 27 KIDS! I feel so vindicated-- and am so glad I kept fighting to get him into his rightful place in 2nd grade!

I'd like to dedicate a big fat rasberry to the principal and even his teacher who went out of their way to tell me that he didn't belong there...

I know it's childish but: PBBBBBTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

4 comments:

africakidandtheworld said...

I'll join you with a "HA, HA, HA!" Isn't it good to know you did the right thing? And what's more amazing, he's not even a native-born speaker...

Betsy said...

You know, I'm so relieved, because in the face of all those doubting Thomases I really started to wonder if we were doing the right thing!

And it is pretty incredible since he couldn't speak any German when we got here in July. He's been working so hard, though. We're making a point of having him reading aloud every day and I guess it's paying off...

Carol said...

Isn't it just incredible how kids SOAK UP a foreign language?! And obviously, S is bright and a hard-worker as well. You are ALL to be commended!

Carol

swissmiss said...

Yay S!