18 September, 2006

S's first day of school

S started second grade this morning and I don't know about him but I'm still shaky! It's stressful enough to start at a big new school, but try doing it in a new country in a language in which you're not yet completely fluent! He seemed OK on the surface but every now and then you could see a bit of nervousness flashing through.

And all the friction we've had with the principal hasn't helped matters. I've been going back and forth with him all summer-- Sander is younger than most second graders here, but he's already completed 1st grade and we are convinced that he'll learn German very quickly and that he should continue on to second. He's already reading, writing and even multiplying so I'm afraid that he'd become bored and unmotivated very quickly if he had to repeat first grade here where they start off by learning their letters.

So I guess I've earned a reputation for myself as one of those bullying parents who push their agendas off on the school-- which, aside from being completely off base could also come back to bite us in different ways.

I shuddered internally this morning when I met S's teacher and the first thing she said to me was not "Welcome" or "Glad to have S in my class" but "Well, we'll give this a shot and see if it works"

It's not like I've been asking them to allow S to skip a grade or telling them my son is a genius! He's earned his place in second grade by finishing first-- the whole discussion seems like it should be so straightforward!

So we dropped him off and all of a sudden it started POURING rain. M had to get to work but we'd walked to school and had no umbrellas so we decided to wait it out. And it rained and it rained.

And then S's class had a break and he came out with the group of kids and was completely MORTIFIED to see that we were still there. We all did our best to pretend that we didn't recognize him but it was all I could do to keep from scooping him up and smuggling him out of there and back home.

Poor little guy! It's going to be a tough couple of weeks for him. (and probably for me as well to tell the truth!)

4 comments:

Carol said...

Oh Betsy, I remember this! Even when they know the language it's traumatizing for both kid AND mom! He sounds resilient, though (as are you), so I'm sure you'll both come through it with flying colors!

Carol

Anonymous said...

Yeah, they're blunt, the darlings. Don't you love her confidence in the ability of your child? It's like, if he doesn't speak German - no matter where he's lived for the past few years - he must be a slow learner.

I remember standing in these shoes, too, not having big expectations for the German school system and not being disappointed. I will admit, though, there were a few pleasant surprises staff-wise compared to what I had in America.

If I could offer you one word of advice it would be over and above whatever they're teaching him in school, continue to slip in the little lessons at home and keep him ahead of his classmates. It will be so sweet to one day have your teacher have the problem that he's so much ahead of his peers. :)

christina said...

Awww, poor little guy. He'll be all right though. Yeah, some of those German teachers really need an attitude adjustment sometimes. But YOU know your boy and you know what he's capable of.

Betsy said...

Thanks for all your support! I've been so stressed and really needed the positive feedback!

The teacher told me this afternoon that S is doing great. that he's right on track with math and that his German is fine. (!!!)

And for some reason she was floored by his English. When I reminded her that I'm American and that I speak English with him at home she said "I know, but STILL!" Guess all that work with the workbooks this summer is paying off!

In any case, it's a big relief-- we didn't make this decision lightly, and I've been so stressed second-guessing and worrying that we might have bitten off more than S could chew...