05 September, 2006

Does hair color REALLY make a difference?

I just got back from getting my hair cut. I liked my hair blond but it was getting hard to maintain so I've dyed it dark brown, which looks more natural anyway.

According to the stylist, though, this was probably not a good idea. She says that Germans in this area are openly nicer to blond people and speculated that the warm welcome I received in the neighborhood was due partly to my platinum do. ?????!!!!!

I'm assuming this is an exaggeration but have to admit that this thought had already crossed my mind. It certainly wouldn't be unique to Germany, but I'm convinced that part of the reason S and B have been accepted so quickly into kindergarten is due to their Aryan features.

I'm trying to take everything at face value and just be happy that they're settling in well, but some days I wonder about people's deeper motivations...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

If you notice a difference will you go back to being blond? Hmmmmmmm...

Betsy said...

No way! I'll be annoyed at the fact that people are so shallow but it won't change my mind (or my hair color).

Unless of course they start coming at me with burning torches or pitchforks. Then I might reconsider... ;-)

africakidandtheworld said...

Keep us informed. Let's hope your hair stylist is a little paranoid! But I'm with you--don't bend to pressure, keep your hair how you like it.

Brit Kim said...

I'd like one day soon - that it would be possible to change the "colour" of one's mind - as easily as the colour of one's hair :)

Anonymous said...

!!!