04 September, 2006

You have got to be kidding me!

Today was my first day of a three week stint of driving M to work in the mornings. Traffic was (surprisingly!) fine, company was great, but HOLY SMOKES! The RADIO! I listen to my iPod or to NPR at home so up until now I've been spared the full effect of commercial radio playlists.

How is it possible that German stations can get away with playing Spandau Ballet and the Monkeys?! I've got a pretty high tolerance for schlocky music, but this is unbelieveable!

Wind Beneath My Wings?! On a morning show!!!???

There must be a whole army of little elves that come out at the radio stations every night to blow the dust off of the vinyl 45's and LP's. Unless the station managers have switched to 8 tracks...

7 comments:

christina said...

Yup. Our station plays Spandau Ballet too. And lots and lots of Robbie Williams and Shania Twain.

Sounds like you're settling in nicely. Just yell if you have any Germany questions.

Unknown said...

Germany is pretty famous for its shaky music taste. I believe a couple of years ago the top selling album at the Christmas period was a 6-year-old singing about a little crocodile.

Anonymous said...

Nope, they're not kidding you. Wait until you hear the folk music, you think they play the ancient crud raw. And get this - they *sing* the folk music. And sway. Makes my teeth itch.

christina said...

Yeah, try to get something like "Musikantenstadl" on TV and you'll see what Lisa is talking about. Scary.

Anonymous said...

What no Hoff?

Betsy said...

Believe it or not the only Hoff I've heard so far has been related to you in one way or another... :-)

Nothing on the radio yet but it's bound to happen at some point. This morning I heard that cheesy Beatles song "Eight Days a Week". On two different stations. Would have howled and stuck my fingers in my ears but couldn't since I was driving...

Astrid said...

You made me really laugh with this last post! =) I can't say anything about the german radio stations but the french ones are just the same!!They all seem to dwell in the past - hits from 10, 15 and 20 years back including spandau ballet...