21 September, 2006

Just call me Einstein

Yesterday as I was suffering through the worst symtoms from Internet withdrawal the phone rang. It was none other than a friendly telecom engineer, my knight(ess) in shining armor. She'd checked the line, fixed a few things and was calling with the good news that service would be restored shortly.

I thanked her profusely and asked what the next step would be.

"No problem. Just wait til your husband gets home and ask him to reboot your modem"

???!!!

It was so absurd that I burst out laughing and responded with a jovial "Why should I wait for my husband? I'm the Internet expert here at home!"

She realized her mistake, laughed and then told me the next step would be to unplug the modem for a few minutes to let it rest and then restore power and then...."

"Oh, no problem!" I interrupted, still cocky, and disconnected the power.

Dial tone....

Being the big fat Internet expert that I am I forgot that we have ADSL and that the phone line is connected up through the modem...

2 comments:

Carol said...

Oh man... BTDT!! My hubby, who works as a digital animator at a game company, so should be reasonably technically proficient, has no clue how to retrieve his voicemail!! Instead, he sees the caller ID number and calls back -- not speed-dial, mind you, because he couldn't have possibly set all that up...

It's one big AARRGGGGHHHHHH for me!!

Carol

Betsy said...

Yet another sign of my un-hip-ness. I actually had to look up BTDT. :)

Thanks-- I'll be sure to drop the acronym in a chat session sometime soon. Got to keep up the illusion that I'm young and with-it... ;-)