20 September, 2006

The notorious "expat moment"

I've officially had my "expat moment". You know, the one you read about in all the newcomers' guides, regardless of country. That proverbial drop of water that causes the bucket to overflow and makes one want to pack a suitcase and hop on the next plane out. for good.

Just after posting our stressful first-day-of-school experience; after walking the 1+km back home in an icy downpour; after battling traffic to get a very stressed-out M to work on time. After all this I arrived home to find out that the phone was down.

The phone company tested everything and eventually figured out that it was a problem with DSL. So then I had to contact our Internet Service provider's "Customer Service" line.

To say the guy was nasty would be an understatement. He was horrible-- kept telling me that my German was shit and if I couldn't understand him then maybe I should go out and find someone who CAN speak German and who could continue for me. !!!

This went on and on but unfortunately I needed his help so I had to continue to take the abuse. I somehow muddled through and then melted down into a complete puddle after we hung up.

The thing is, I know I'm doing OK with German. I'm not fluent yet, but I'm certainly proficient and am noticing a big difference in my ability to communicate. 5 months ago I couldn't speak a single word, so it's not surprising that I'm still making mistakes.

This guy didn't understand me because he didn't want to understand me. In the big picture this was just a blip on the chart, but it was pretty discouraging at a moment when I was dangling at the end of my rope anyway.

In any case, Internet is finally back up and the sun is shining and the kids seem to be settling into school. Life is good!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Your post speaks to TWO things.

First, there's no place like the US for customer service. Much as I love Germany and think I'd like to go back someday, I'd miss the Nordstrom-style customer service that's becoming the norm in the US as of late.

And next, US is NOT the only country that has the narrow, "if you're in our country, speak our language, dammit" mentality.

I'm sorry you had to endure that -- and glad the line's working again.

Hope the boys are loving school, and you're not minding the quiet at home in the mornings.

Carol

Anonymous said...

picture a moldering gravestone somewhere in Germany...

HERE LIES THE GUY FROM DSL
ETERNALLY ANSWERING PHONES IN HELL
A SPECIAL TORMENT FOR HIM RESERVED
BECAUSE HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED

MGB

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat the small stuff, and that DSL guy is DEFINITELY small stuff...

Thanks for your courteous technical assistance.

MGB