22 September, 2006

The "kindness" of strangers 2

Was doing the lawn chair thing again this afternoon-- sitting out front enjoying the sunshine and keeping a close eye on my two little daredevils while they were skateboarding on the street. Was getting the usual weird sideways glances as people drove by, but really, WHATEVER.

So then this lady from up the street comes up to me with a big smile and says:

"Oh, you are so brave to sit out front in your lawn chair like that. I would never dare to do something like that. If anybody looks at you strangely just ignore them-- I think it's GREAT!"

But I get the feeling she didn't.

(This place must be really dull if sitting outside in a lawn chair causes such a stir. I think that next time I'll do it with a pair of M's underwear on my head.)

But the fun and games didn't stop there. she then hinted that I should have kept my hair blond. And to top it all off she offered her services if I needed any help decorating our house-- I get the feeling she's been peeking in our windows and that she didn't like what she saw.

I liked her a whole lot better when I couldn't understand her...

3 comments:

Carol said...

And WHY is sitting on a lawn chair in your front yard watching your kids play weird in ANY country?!

Carol

Anonymous said...

that old hair colour thing again...

I have never really understood where the linking of hair colour to other human characteristics comes from.

In the USA your recent "weird" behaviour could be attributed to your hair colour if you were still blonde. For example, "Have you heard the one about the dumb blonde who sat in her front yard on a lawn chair?"

Does Germany already have dumb brunette jokes? If not - but they suddenly start appearing, I think we may have pinpointed the source...

MGB

Anonymous said...

Were you wearing a bikini or better yet, nothing at all??

Maybe that was the problem.
SF