18 October, 2006

I guess I'm the last one to know...

S and B were tearing around the neighborhood with a pack of boys yesterday, and they came up one weapon short. S returned home with a friend to pick up an extra squirt gun and rang the bell. I guess I wasn't fast enough getting upstairs so the friend said:

"Why are you waiting? Don't you know the secret about your front door?"

He pushed on it and voila, it opened.

Greeeeeeeaaaaaaat.

There's no knob on the outside, so I always use a key to open it-- I've certainly never noticed that it pops open with the least amount of pressure.

And since this is apparently an open secret among the kids on our street I'm wondering who else knows. We don't have very many valuables but it still gives me the creeps that anyone could walk in at any time. I wonder what else they're not telling me?

5 comments:

Goofball said...

Yikes, that would give me a creepy feeling as well.

Any solution to fix that door...new lock? Locking it from inside always?

Betsy said...

weird, huh? Well, it only opens when it's unlocked, so now that I know that I'll just start locking it all the time.

And will definitely have a locksmith take a look at it...

Anonymous said...

Niiiice

Betsy said...

Update: I went out for coffee with one of our neighbors this morning and mentioned the door. She knew about the problem and when we got back showed me an almost invisible latch inside the locking mechanism that keeps the bolt in place after you've closed the door...

So now when the door's closed it's really closed.

Anonymous said...

YIKES! However, another good story about neighbours to the rescue, eh? I could probably get away without a lock myself. Anyone coming in would be scared to death by the mess, turn tail and run!!!! Housework was never a strong suit. I need a maid, or a real STRONG shot of caffeine to get me going ... sigh ...
"Seneca"