19 October, 2006

Blowing on it won't make it develop any faster!

When I was about eight my grandfather bought a Polaroid camera. I remember those moments of anticipation just after he'd taken a picture. My brother and I would gather around him eagerly willing the photo to develop. First we'd see a constellation of bluish shadows, then faint outlines and gradually the colors that seemed to magically emerge to reveal a crisp, clear image.

It struck me yesterday that life after a move closely resembles this process. Routines gradually develop, the picture becomes clearer and no amount of straining or jumping up and down can speed up a process that needs time and air and maybe even a little magic to complete itself.

I'm finally starting to see the outlines of our life-to-be. The kids are settling into school, our German is progressing and we're beginning to collect a wide circle of acquaintances that color our days and lend a richness to our experience.

Our neighborhood is wonderful-- S and B are spending more and more time outside with a large group of children. When they get home from school they speed through their routines towards that moment when they can race out the door toward freedom. Toward elaborate games of cops and robbers; toward the possibility to win that next scooter race; toward the exhilaration that comes from a burgeoning sense of independence and one's rightful place in the world.

We've still got a way to go before this place really feels like home, but I'm thankful for the elaborate picture that is starting to reveal itself. And the realization that our life in Germany is developing, albeit one step at a time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice way of describing the prosess =) It's true, it does take time to settle and it cannot be rushed just because we want it...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Betsy, thanks for this post! I really, really, (insert infinity of really's) needed to hear this. You're exactly right, of course. All the anxiety to put things back together is useless. I just need to breathe and give us time to reestablish our routine and our place. You sure are one wise woman. Tell your husband I said he needs to kiss you squarely on the lips and feel lucky he has such a good woman. :)

Betsy said...

:-) Lisa, I forwarded your comment on to M, who's in Michigan this week.

It never hurts anyone to be reminded of just how very wise I am... ;-)

Anonymous said...

:p Brilliant way to put it kid, I totally agree! It's not the same degree of change by any stretch, but even starting a new job can be a 'killer', and you're right there's no way at all to rush it. But boy it's fun looking back and seeing just how far you've come!!!
"Seneca"