13 October, 2006

A phone only a mother could love

I am my own paradox. Yesterday's post revealed my fascination with the explosive technological advances of the Internet. The more it evolves the more enamored I become.

This post belies another side of my personality. A dark curmudgeonly side that’s fundamentally anti-gadget. I hate the idea of having drawers full of battery-powered clutter. My kitchen accoutrements include little more than an old-fashioned side-by-side toaster and a sleek but otherwise unremarkable coffee maker. No milk frothers, no juicers, no salad shooters.

But it's not just my kitchen that's behind the times. We’ve had the same phone for many years now. It’s survived three international moves (barely) and has begun to exhibit age-related tremors and Alzheimer-like symptoms. And as much as I hate to struggle to understand conversations over a crackly line, I hate shopping at big electronics stores even more.

So let me just get this out in the open: For those of you who’ve had to prematurely end phone conversations with me because you couldn't hear what I was saying, don't blame lagging German telecom technology-- chalk it up to my own special form of electronic shopophobia.

Yesterday I had some time to kill and popped into a local junk antique store. I rarely buy anything there, but I love to browse through the detritus of the ages: turn-of-the-century class photos with their rows of solemn faces, a well-worn pocket bible that probably accompanied a loved-one to war, a stack of crisp love letters from 1935 meticulously bound by an elegant peach ribbon...

And then suddenly there it was, staring at me pleadingly from a dusty table. A telephone of absolute mythic ugliness. The metaphoric equivalent of a hairless chihuahua, but just not as nervous. How could one NOT be swayed to adopt it and give it a loving home?

The casing is actually made of marble and if I can believe the sticker on the bottom it is gold plated. And even with MY imagination I can't for the life of me picture who would have invited it into their homes back in the day. (Maybe someone like me who likes to have a little comic relief waiting in ambush at the top of the stairway...)

Cutting edge it's not, but it works great, and it's certainly a conversation piece. The boys are fascinated-- I'm thinking of pitting them against each other in a battle to see who will eventually get to inherit it...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is one of your best posts ever!

Does she have a name?

Anonymous said...

IT'S HIDEOUS! MONSTROUS! And I want it! Children be damned! Will it to me! Pretty please?

Susie Q

Anonymous said...

When in doubt it could always be used as a weapon in self-defense!

I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lordy! That's a beaut, Betsy! I, too, love perusing "antique" shops, and still have many G'ville finds. And, like you, I'm becoming a major technophobe. If I have to read ONE MORE user's manual, I'm going to kill someone! Wonderful post - thansk for sharing. I think I'm going to be a regular fan!

xoxo

p.s. >>> hey, if the phone doesn't work; it would make a lovely addition to Homeland Security, as a weapon.

Langdon =)

Anonymous said...

Yes but.

How do you "press 1 if you wish to speak to a customer service assistant"? Or is that non-existant in Germany anyway?

Carol said...

Wonderfully written! Beautiful phone! Bravo all around!

Carol

Anonymous said...

Oh what a positively WONDROUS thing! Great choice! Me, I am the proud owner of a vintage 1930's rotary phone which works better than any of the #$)(&#%#*(&$ fan-dangled digital phones I've ever had the misfortune to use. I also have the great good luck of having a brother-in-law who used to work for the telephone utility, and who is a fabulous resource for fixing the stupid digital that I had to keep for use in the "press 1 for an assistant" situations. The 30's rotary has never needed a single repair, although K could doubtless fix it too, sans difficulte. And I'm with SusieQ -- WILL IT TO ME! I would be thrilled to give it a good home! Or you can send it here for repairs if the situation arises, which I'm quite sure it won't. Congratulations on such a brilliant purchase!!
Hugs from "Seneca"
the other antique phone nut!! :p

Betsy said...

:-D I've really enjoyed these comments!

Susie Q-- I'll will you the phone if you promise to leave me that horrendous salt and pepper shaker set you have. You know the one....

Steph and Robbie-- you're thinking along the same line with the weapon thing! I'm going to watch my back when either of you come visit!

CH-- do you know I hadn't even considered this option yet? But we've got another phone plugged in downstairs that I use for tiresome exchanges with "customer service" people.

Carol: :-) thanks!

Cathy! Hi! Nice to "see" you! Hope things are going well and that you'll be spared having to read any more user's manuals. I'm with you-- that's a special kind of torture that should be reserved only for people who have built up really, REALLY bad karma.

christina said...

I love it! My husband would have bought that phone in a second.