01 May, 2006

Guilty conscience?

M and S were busy working on something in the basement this morning. I wasn't supposed to know what they were up to, but S let it slip that it had to "dry" and he kept giggling under his breath.

So I wasn't particularly surprised about an hour later when S called out: "Oh no! Mama! Someone has pooped in the hall!"

I should probably mention here that M and S made a cement turd a couple of months ago. Don't ask-- it was some sort of strange father - son bonding ritual. For a couple of weeks I found it in all sorts of unexpected places-- was very relieved when it finally slipped off the radar.

Well, my friends, the excrement is back. And today's task was apparently to paint it brown and green, because it now looks quite realistic.

So S calls out to me and I went into the hall and feigned surprise- "Oh no! Who could have done such a thing, etc." And just then the dog sauntered in so I said "D, did you do this?" and pointed to it.

She took one look at it and crumpled! Actually dropped to the floor in shame and tried to marine crawl out of the room!

I never realized it might be possible to play a practical joke on a dog, but to borrow an expression I heard this weekend this proves that she's not the sharpest lightbulb in the drawer....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! Poor D! That's amazing that she got what was going on (well, sort of). I wonder if she was reacting to your tone and gestures or to the cement blob or both. What if it had been a bright yellow plastic duck? Oh wait, I think I need to get a life :D

Betsy said...

Believe it or not I said it pretty neutrally-- precisely because I didn't want her to think she'd actually done something wrong!

No, she saw it and seemed to have a little doggy breakdown right on the spot!

I felt kind of guilty later, but really, how on earth could she have fallen for that? I always thought she was a little light in the brains area, but geez!

africakidandtheworld said...

I can just see your poor dog in my mind's eye...that's hilarious!