11 May, 2006

Earth to Betsy II, the sequel

So after typing up that last post I started realizing what a space cadet I've been lately. I don't feel all that scattered but apparently I'm more preoccupied than I realize because I keep doing really bizarre things! It's a wonder I haven't left the house in my pajamas at any point-- it's been that bad!

Case in point: An acquaintance has just had an operation on her foot and has been bed-bound for the last two weeks. I bumped into her mom at school and asked how she was doing-- apparently she's bored out of her mind and is lonely. So of course I offer to drop by and try and cheer her up.

When would be convenient? Right now? No problem!

We agreed that I would collect the boys and meet her behind the school in about 10 minutes.

Sounds pretty straighforward, right? Even my dog could have gotten this one right!

But no! I seem to have misplaced my brain somewhere between the cafeteria and the coatracks.

I arrived home a half hour later-- raced in the door to answer the ringing phone. It was my half-crippled, lonely acquaintance: There seems to have been some sort of miscommunication. My mom waited for as long as she could...

(By the way, this is the same woman from the pink sock affair. I don't even want to know what she thinks of my parenting capacity...)

2 comments:

africakidandtheworld said...

Oh no! I'm laughing even as I'm feeling bad for you. You might need to take your "half-crippled, lonely acquaintance" a huge box of chocolates to make amends...

Betsy said...

I know, isn't it awful? And what can you say? I just apologized and left it at that, but I felt pretty guilty.

Made it up, though, by picking her son up for school this morning. And I wasn't late, and didn't forget, so I see some progress on the horizon! ;-)