14 February, 2006

No blogger is an island.

This weekend I was feeling pretty down and on top of it all I had blogger's block. It was a small comfort that this malady strikes even Lucinda, but she somehow manages to turn it into something funny! I wasn't feeling even the slightest bit humorous. If you could have taken a picture of my mental state it would have looked like Marty Feldman. but then uglier.

And then I started ruminating about why I am keeping a blog in the first place. Is it just a pointless exercise or am I actually contributing something worthwhile to the blogosphere? There are so many parenting blogs out there and after a while most of them start to sound the same!

Then, surprisingly, on the very weekend that I'd decided to bag blogging altogether, three wonderful things happened!
  • CH coee-called my blog and let everyone know that she's reading it every day!
  • Blue Sloth, one of the better-known bloggers, stopped by and left a nice comment
  • And a package of fantastic (real!) books arrived for me in the mail from my virtual friend AfricaKid, who has excellent taste in literature and music.
Suddenly I realized that I've been (wrongly) thinking of blogging as a solitary occupation. I'd completely lost sight of the whole social dimension to these online diaries! These people made me feel great, and I've only ever even met one of them in the flesh!

So I've found that spark again. And plan on blogging happily ever after...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I even added your URL to my bookmarks today :) Finally decided to update my bookmarks, adding frequently visited sites and removing redundant links.

africakidandtheworld said...

Don't quit blogging! More books can be sent your way...(is that bribery?) I like to drink my tea each morning and read what you wrote.

Betsy said...

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! :-)