22 February, 2006

Carnaval at the nursery school

I had such a fun morning! The nursery school celebrated Carnaval today and I helped serve crepes and lemonade to 100 fairies, tigers, super heroes and mustachioed swashbucklers!

And let me tell you, these kids could put it away! You would never suspect that a tiny, fragile-looking princess with a gem-studded tiara could polish off four crepes in under 5 minutes! It was astounding!

At one point I was clearing plates from two sated lions and a jester when one started giggling and whispered to the other that I am an angel. And since I happened to be standing next to a minute golden cherub I assumed that they were referring to my beatific smile and upstanding character.

"So you think I'm an angel?" I laughed back.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NO! I said you're English!" chortled the lion. Whoops-- engel / engels. Coulda happened to anyone!

Then B's class filed in. And I went around dutifully with a new batch of crepes and brown sugar. Was chatting with the kids-- there are only a couple I don't know so I asked their names.

When I got to B I asked him what his name is. He looked a little confused but then smiled and told me. Which caused all kinds of consternation at the table:

"Don't you recognize B?! BUT YOU'RE HIS MAMA!" Teacher! TEACHER! SHE DOESN'T RECOGNIZE HER OWN SON!"

I'm not sure about the teacher, but I found it highly amusing...

1 comment:

Dani said...

Great pictures you engel, you.

I also wanted to give you a BIG THANKS for your comments on traveling to Mexico. I'm in the process of getting more information, which will definately help to ease my mind.