21 January, 2006

Life in a Belgian village

I just bumped into a friend of mine who lives in the street behind us. Apparently her double-chinned, fuzzy-toothed neighbor knocked on her door this morning at 9am with an invitation to a tupperware party at his house this evening. To which she replied that she's already got enough tupperware, thanks anyway.

He apparently got a little embarrassed and corrected her-- not "Tupperware" but "Upperware" or some such. Turns out his wife is peddling sex toys and erotic lingerie! And this from a man who has been known to relieve himself in his own backyard!

It wouldn't surprise me if this Upperware party has a neo-nazi theme to it if our neighbors are any barometer for the rest of the street. One of them went on another tear earlier this week. He told M that we'd better not sell our house to any "foreigners" or he'll have to move as well.

So now we're thinking about putting ads in the local Moroccan newspapers...

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Philip! Welcome! What a treat!

Actually from what I understand Upperware is a pyramid scheme. I'm trying to encourage her entrepreneurial spirit-- think of the franchising opportunities!

Unfortunately for my blog she didn't attend or I could have given an update. I don't think I could have handled that gathering first-hand but have to admit I'm curious about the party favors... ;-)