09 November, 2005

Our "friend" Adolf

All conversation with my neighbors in the last couple of weeks turns invariably towards the riots around Paris and the ensuing unrest in neighboring countries. They refuse to consider the problem in socioeconomic terms and insist that it is solely ethnically based.

If "we" hadn't let so many of "them" in then we wouldn't be in this mess. One of my more fanatic neighbors has even said that "foreigners" are no better than lice and should all be exterminated-- our friend Adolf would have taken care of this problem quickly. !!!

I am completely shocked and sickened each time that I am confronted with this sort of closeminded view! And it frightens me that this kind of talk is so common that they don't even stop to consider that I might find it offensive!

I've tried to make the argument that the problem is more complex than they are suggesting. I have reminded them that my family and I are also foreigners in this country. They just counter by saying that some foreigners are more desirable than others and smiling in a patronizing way at my percieved naivete.

We chose to live in rural Flanders because we thought that the small-town atmosphere would provide a feeling of tranquility and safety. I can tell you, though, that recent conversations with people in this neighborhood have made me feel anything but that...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I actually agree with you on a social issue, but I certainly do on this one. If you look at the sizable Islamic population in the US, you see a different picture. I have heard it suggested that we do not have the violence problems here (US) often associated with this group because of (for whatever reasons), they have assimilated into the environment and have done well economically. There seem to be no more Americans of Middle Eastern descent who turn out to be bombers here than there are White Survivalists who blow things up.

As for our friend Adolph, didn’t he originally consolidate his power in his early years by causing riots and general unrest? Not to mention the general running amok he did after he came into power…

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to frame the first sentence of your comment and hang it on my wall!

Anonymous said...

yeah, that's a good idea. I will even sign it for you if you want.

africakidandtheworld said...

I just happened on your site (because you also listed Abigail Washburn as a favorite). My oldest daughter's in France at the moment, and I wrote about the riots a bit on my blog. How appalling that your neighbor actually said those words about lice!