18 November, 2005

Life on the farm

OK, so I think I've realized why I was so happy in my last post. I try so hard to be a good role model and it's refreshing to see my positive behavior reflected back at me. Unfortunately they mimic bad habits as well, like eating while standing and wiping their noses on their sleeves when they've forgotten their tissues...

We've found an amazing veteranarian. This guy actually doesn't mind when I ask questions about the dog's health and last week, when D needed a biopsy, he let us all look at the cells under the microscope-- I couldn't believe it!

(Belgians apparently have a different relationship with medical professionals, and as a proactive, inquisitive American I seem to step on a lot of toes.)

So D is very small and very calm for a labrador and I asked him if he thinks she's purebred. His theory is that she's a lab with a pancreatic problem that keeps her from absorbing nutrients. This has no effect on her general health or lifespan, but the symptoms themselves could be corrected with some special enzymes if I felt it was necessary.

Hmm. Let's see. So we could pay for a medication that would cause her to become heavier and develop lab ADHD. Naaah. Thanks, but I think I'll pass on that one.

No comments: