16 January, 2006

Video games promote violent behavior!

One of the trends I follow at work for the Internet safety portal is electronic gaming and its effects on the player. Expert opinions vary widely as to whether video games actually promote aggressive behavior in children. Yet another study has come out analyzing sensitivity to violent images.

One of conclusions: "All we are really getting is desensitisation to images. There's no way to show that this relates to real-life aggression."

Even at his tender age S is becoming interested in gaming. He got hold of my brother's Playstation 2 during our vacation and did a couple of marathon sessions. On the last day when B was sick and it was too cold / rainy to go outside he played demolition derby for probably three hours straight.

I think the only unexpected side effect was my own aggressive behavior. He became hyper from playing the game and I wanted to KILL HIM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this is a very interesting question. It might seem logical that violent video games and movies would promote violent behavior. I know I have to really think about what I am doing when getting in my car after a round of Grand Theft Auto. But then again, Japanese entertainment is some of the sickest stuff around but they have almost no crime.