07 January, 2006

Life in the hot zone. (but am so c-c-cold!)

We're back home! Am totally exhausted but am jet-lagging and feel completely wired. That, and the heater has had yet another stroke while we were away, so it's 5 degrees Celsius in here. I can actually see my breath! Will type as long as my fingers don't stiffen up and turn black.

B is still sick. Am trying to stay calm and rational about the whole thing, at least until we see a doctor tomorrow. They've ruled out influenza (which is a relief considering all of the chicken flu jokes I've made on this blog in recent weeks) but whatever this thing is it's virulent!

And I'm feeling guilty as well-- we are an epidemiologist's worst nightmare! In the last 5 days we've dragged our little Typhoid Mary around southern Ontario, across three states and through busy airports in Newark, Milan and Brussels!

And four-year-olds are not exactly paragons of good hygene. Yesterday I said "Gimme five!" and held my hand out-- watched in horror as B's finger went up his nose, slapped my hand and then went into his mouth in one smooth trajectory!

He's pretty cheerful, though, under the circumstances. Add the name of Ibuprofen's inventor to the list of people who should be considered for sainthood...

No comments: