02 January, 2007

Helllooooooooo 2007!

We're back from a week in the Netherlands. We had a great holiday but it's also nice to be back home and sleep in our own beds!

Sorry for the blogging blackout-- my parents'-in-law have a dialup connection so I have only limited time (and limited patience) for Internet activities. Which, for a WWW addict like myself, is like an enforced stay at the Betty Ford clinic. It's not exactly easy but is probably a good thing to take some time every now and then to dry out.

We had an eventful week-- barforama excluded. The only bright side of that misery was that I erased any excess holiday pounds in about 9 (not-so) easy steps! (and ensuing two day I'll-puke-if-I-even-think-about-food-diet). I might be one of the few people who started off January lighter than I was in December!

So, let's see- V family holiday in bullet points:
  • First and foremost: I have a new nephew! Max Willem Leonard was born on December 26th. Blogger is being cranky this morning so I'll have to post a picture later.
  • We visited a couple of different friends whom we haven't seen for years. It was fun to catch up!
  • E and I did some major damage at the sales in Rotterdam. I don't go clothes shopping very often so it was fun to go out and do it right! :-)
  • We stayed home and had a quiet New Years' Eve with my parents-in-law. Watched all the Dutch oud jaars avond shows on TV and then got the kids up for a spectacular fireworks display at midnight. It was raining so we enjoyed a panoramic view through the window. B made a running commentary the whole time: "That one looked like a spider! Oh, and that one reminds me of broccoli!" With anyone else it might have been annoying, but he's just so enthusiastic and cute it just cracked me up.
  • We've got this week off and I plan to spend it reading Wicked and going through all of our closets and taking down the Christmas tree.
Oh, yeah, and a quick observation about Dutch television: Where else on earth would they show a huge closeup of an anus on a primetime New Years' eve countdown show?! And I don't mean a quick flash and then cutaway, I'm talking about a 1 1/2 meter (5 foot) photo hanging from the ceiling above the emcee's head along with some other decorations. Did anyone else see this on Paul de Leeuw?! :-O

And I guess I'll end on that extremely tasteful note. Happy New Year, everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, you're kidding about the Christmas decoration on TV, right?

Happy New Year!

Betsy said...

Hi! Oh no I'm not!

Paul de Leeuw is known for being really obnoxious, but this was pretty over-the-top, even for him! And at one point, just in case you'd missed it he pulled it down from the ceiling, put it in front of his face and made a kind of "talking asshole" joke. It was incredible!

That said, he can be really funny-- I don't think there's anyone around who's a quicker wit than he is.

Unknown said...

We saw it. It was a really good show. I don't think he's obnoxious anymore, he seems to have found some kind of peace and is mostly really nice to people on his show, with a bit of gentle ribbing. I take the whole anus thing as a sign of Dutch tolerance, which is really good to see (not the photo, just what it stands for, so to speak). Glad you're back!

Betsy said...

I really liked the show too. I love Adje!

No, you're right, he's much less abrasive than he used to be and he can be very funny.

It was just the anus thing that threw me, though. Does he have something against Gordon?