29 January, 2007

But it was such a lovely parting gift...

Today I had (yet) another strange experience. S has met a boy his age that he gets along really well with, and the mother invited us over for coffee.

I suppose I should preface this whole story by saying that this boy is very sweet and calm and polite. He likes to do puzzles and play quietly in his room with his much older sister.

(You see where this is going, don't you?) On their own S and B can be sweet and quiet as well. But they are boys, and if you put them in the room with another boy they all somehow morph into maniacs. They wrestle and get all sweaty and slam each other into furniture.

Today was, unfortunately, no exception. Despite my best efforts the entire two hours was like having front row seats at a WWF Smackdown. But then without the prize money or the limo waiting outside afterwards.

The boys all had a fabulous time, but the mother sat there with a very strained smile on her face. And I could read her mind as she wondered if I have to chain my children in the basement in the evenings just to get some peace.

Finally it was time to leave. I was tired, hungry and completely frazzled. Made my way to the door, wrestling S and B to get their jackets and boots on. Was struggling to stay polite and keep a semblance of control. I just wanted to be home!

As I was cramming one of B's feet into the WRONG boot the mother came up to me with a bag and said: Do you like this children's book?

I actually don't, but my head was already halfway home and I was struggling with B's other boot. So I said "Oh yes, yes, of course!"

And she smiled and said "Oh, well, great, because I have two of them and thought you might like this one!"

Which was so nice! Especially considering the fact that my kids had just spent the last two hours training her son in subversive martial arts. I think we have two copies mouldering down in the basement, but hey, never look a gift horse in the mouth! Plus, she might be offended if I refuse. So I said: "Wow, that is so nice of you! Thank you! I'm sure the boys will really enjoy it!"

And she handed it to me and said: "Great, then I will sell it to you. I paid 15 Euros for it."

???!!!

Believe it or not, I actually paid her. It was worth it just to get back out to my car and finally drive home.

So watch out, if any of you have birthdays coming up. You might just get an unexpected gift...

21 comments:

Unknown said...

That's just exactly the sort of thing I do all the time! It's so reassuring to see that even you, Betsy, even you sometimes go down the path of least resistance, especially when it doesn't make the best sense :) Glad you are feeling better.

africakidandtheworld said...

I just can't stop wondering--what's the name of this loathsome book?? You've got me hooked.

Unknown said...

Yeah, what is the book, anyway? Maybe I like it? Can I get a bulk discount if so?

R. Duckie said...

WOw, that's weird! I would have asked for a discount!

Betsy said...

The book? Well, it certainly wasn't a copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People", I can tell you that much!

Goofball said...

How strange that she first somehow offered it as a gift (that she seemed to be glad to get rid of it) and afterwards she dares to ask money for it? Weird.

But I think I would have paid for it as well, just not feeling energy at that point or too much in shock to start a discussion. Just paying in order to get out without further discussion, to stay "friends" with the neighbourhood and then I'd be pissed off all day because I paid :p

christina said...

Was this woman German? Because that's a *totally* German thing to do, believe it or not.

Betsy said...

Ellen: I know, I thought it was strange too. But I think the main problem was that I misunderstood her intentions.

I thought she was giving it to me as a gift and I guess she assumed all along that I knew she would want money for it.

Strange, though, because, in the States money is such a touchy subject. I doubt most people would sell small things like that to their friends, and if they did it would be said very clearly from the beginning.

Christina: Yes, she's German. And in that kind of situation is it OK to (politely) refuse?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I like your new photo, Bets!


And I also like the license.

L

Betsy said...

Thaaaaaaaanks, LRod! S took it!

What license?

Anonymous said...

I've done that before! Man, she put you in a difficult position. That wasn't nice and it seems she did it deliberately, else she would've prefaced the offer with "I purchased one book too many and was wondering if you might like to take this one off my hands, it cost...."

You did good though, Betsy. Style, grace and good manners.

(You look good as a brunette too!:D)

Unknown said...

The thing I like about the new picture is that the door handle in the background looks like a telephone headset in the small pic, and so the whole composition makes you look a lot like those 'customer service' icons on e-commerce websites. I hope that's not an insult! I'll try and find some and send you links if I find any.

Betsy said...

Lisa: I've been assuming all along that it was just a misunderstanding, but maybe you're right-- maybe she was just so sick of us she decided to make double sure that we didn't come back... ;-)

Chui Hsia: BUSTED! After I left EUN I started up my own sex hotline and earn extra pocket money with "customer service". ;-)

Astrid said...

Not a nice situation to be put in... but at least you walked out of there with style as Lisa said :)

By the way, check out this link! I nominated you... :) Hope you don't mind!
http://sharetheloveblogawards.blogspot.com/2007/01/wednesday-nominees.html

Astrid said...

http://sharetheloveblogawards.
blogspot.com/2007/01/wednesday
-nominees.html

you'll have to do a bit of cut and paste with this url as blogger cut half of it in the previous comment
:)

Betsy said...

Thanks, Astrid! I'm so flattered! I'll go have a look at the award nominees page and will post something about the contest here later.

Anonymous said...

Betsy, had lost the link to your blog but found it by chance when I did a google search for EUN sex hotline
;-)

Betsy said...

CC: So you were gathering links from your past work experiences to put on your resume?

christina said...

Betsy - Yeah, I think it would have been OK to say "Oh, on second thought I changed my mind" or "You know, I think we may have that one after all, I'll check and get back to you."

angela said...

I found you through Astrid's blog.
It's very comforting to know that I'm not the only person who'd do that just to get away...Good story.
Angela

Anonymous said...

What a complete bitch! That was a terrible thing. I hope S or B accidentally peed on her floor! (I know they never would, but I'm still fanstasizing!)

xoxo - Lang