25 January, 2007

The devil is in the details...

The snow has suddenly piled up here and the temperatures have dropped to -6C. Which means a mother has to be extra vigilent. Not only to ensure that her children stay warm and dry, but also so that the teachers and other parents don't start clucking furiously over naked ears or exposed throats.

This morning I was a whirlwind of activity.

I checked that S had an undershirt on under his shirt and warm fleece.
I made sure that he put on snow boots and his winter jacket.
I personally pulled on his hood and mittens.

I felt competent. I felt confident.

Then we walked to school.

I was trudging along behind him daydreaming, thinking that his socks probably didn't match his fleece sweater and... HOLD ON! (*grinding noises and brain going click. click. click. as disparate thoughts start to come together*) Why is it that I can see his socks?

The one thing I did NOT think to check was to see if S had put on his own pants. He'd pulled a pair of B's on by mistake. They are two sizes too small. And he looked like he had on a pair of Michael Jackson's highwaters from circa 1982.

I'll let you know if the school lets me have him back when I go to pick him up this afternoon. Otherwise he'll probably be placed into foster care and you can send him cards and well wishes there...

1 comment:

R. Duckie said...

It's ok, I hear the 80's rock look has been back in for awhile!