07 January, 2007

Knee-high to a...

I think our boys might be turning into locusts. They're developing long spindly legs, they hop everywhere they go and have appetites of biblical proportions; they're eating everything that's not nailed down!

Unlike normal locusts, though, they can be quite cute, and I like to cuddle them. (if I can catch them...)

M is in the States on business this week so it's just me, the dog and the grasshoppers. We went out for a long hike this morning and shattered the tranquility of the nature reserve near our house.

Got back and I cooked a big pot of hearty lentil stew and baked lemon blueberry muffins and strawberry oatmeal bars. I doubt even this stock of food will satisfy their gargantuan appetites this week but at least it's a start...

They're upstairs playing right now and I'm taking advantage of the quiet moment to have a cup of coffee and put my feet up. Any minute, though, they're going to swarm back downstairs and swear that they are STARVING. (a word that's always in capital letters in our house lately)

This kind of behavior usually precedes a growth spurt-- I'm thinking that by next week S and B might be as tall as I am. Which is fine as long as they eventually morph back into boys. They're much easier to squeeze that way...

6 comments:

africakidandtheworld said...

Do you ever post recipes? Those strawberry oatmeal bars sound awfully good...

Betsy said...

This was the first time I've made them-- they're really easy and the boys really like them!

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup skim milk
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup strawberry jam

preheat oven to 350F (180C)

Lightly oil an 8x8 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients.

In a small bowl stir together milk, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add to dry mixture and mix until moistened.

Set aside 1/2 cup of batter. Spread remaining batter in the bottom of a prepared pan.

Spread jam evenly over oat mixture.

Using a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, drop reserved mixture evenly over jam. Press down lightly into jam, wetting fingertips slightly to prevent sticking.

Bake 23 - 25 minutes until top is firm and edges begin to brown. Place pan on a wire rack to cool slightly, then cut into squares.

Makes 16 bars.

(Recipe from Vegetarian Gourmet's Low-Fat Favorites)

africakidandtheworld said...

Thanks, Betsy! I'm going to try them this week. Sounds like comfort food to me.

christina said...

I hear you about the energy and the growth spurts. 10yr old *never* stops moving and 13 year old is 5'9" already (I'm only 5'5"! ) - scary stuff.

Those bars sound great. I have a similar recipe with just oats, flour, butter and jam, but yours is much more nutritious with the milk and milk powder. Will have to give it a try.

christina said...

Duh, not milk powder, just milk. My brain is playing tricks on me.

Betsy said...

You know, Christina, the butter might give them a bit more flavor. I tried them later on, and they were fine, but the taste is pretty subtle. I wonder how it would be if you substituted the 2 tbs oil with butter?