12 January, 2007

Sometimes a wurst is just a wurst.

It was cooking day at the kindergarten and the kids made sausages, french fries and yoghurt with fruit slices. B was asked to bring a sausage (wiener wuerstchen) to contribute to the meal.

So yesterday we went to the butcher for the first time. While waiting in line my stomach was flip-flopping at the sight of all that meat.

It came our turn and I asked for one wuerstchen. The butcher smiled, pulled it out of the case, handed it to me and asked: "Is this for the children?"

Uhhh, yes.

"OK, then it's on the house. Have a nice day!" and he turned to the next customer.

And there I stood, completely perplexed, holding my dubious gift.

We walked outside and I just started cracking up. S was skipping along beside me and said "What's so funny?"

"God, where do I start? OK, so number one, as a vegetarian I don't find this thing even remotely appetising. And number two: why is there no wrapper or bag of any kind? Here I am holding my backpack, my keys and a sausage!?"

And then S sang out "And number three: it looks like you're walking along holding a giant penis!"

2 comments:

swissmiss said...

When I go to a small butcher here they almost always slice off a piece of some wurst or another for Alex to eat - I think the butcher might have expected S to eat it right away (if it was the pre-cooked kind).

Betsy said...

You know, if it had been a slice of something I would have understood-- we used to get that sometimes in Belgium too.

But this was a whole wurst! And uncooked, too-- aren't you supposed to cook those things? I think he was just being nice and figured I'd come back for a bigger purchase next time.

that or he thought I was destitute since I could only afford one small piece of meat for my family.

In any case, he was very friendly-- and the whole situation was so bizarre that I got a good laugh out of it later... :-)