18 January, 2007

Our budding wordsmith

For his homework yesterday S had a list of 12 letters and had to think up three adjectives that began with each letter. We started brainstorming all of the words we knew and his eyes lit right up. He was coming up with them faster than I was-- and we're not talking about simple ones, but adjectives like gigantisch, ungeheuer and turquoise.

I can't even describe how fantastic the experience was-- I've always loved language but wasn't sure if either of my sons would share that passion with me. But it looks like S has been bitten by the bug. He's reading everything that's not nailed down and now looks forward to our trips to the library.

And the way his eyes sparkled yesterday while playing our word game? It was pure magic!

4 comments:

Astrid said...

If all kids are the way you describe yours, I'm tempted to get started on getting some of my own...
:-)

Betsy said...

Thanks! :-) They're fun, they really are! Sometimes they make me crazy, of course, but it's so amazing to see their characters develop and to share these milestones with them!

When you do decide the time is right please be sure to blog about it so that I can follow along!!!

Carol said...

"Pure magic" is such a perfect description! Isn't it wonderful! Two of ours loved to read from the very beginning and two of them never learned to love reading. It almost seems innate to me!

Carol

swissmiss said...

Sounds wonderful!

I can't wait for Boy to start talking.