29 December, 2006

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash*

I have just spent 22 hours in bed. Ugh.

We all have our own steadfast traditions for Christmastime. Some people bake cookies; some create intricate Christmas cards. Our family cultivates virulent viruses. And we share them with a vengeance. Every. Single. Year.

Forget romantic snowy vistas, for me the term “White Christmas” conjures up the color of our faces just before we toss our (sugar) cookies into the nearest bin/ bag/ toilet/ park.

And as I sit here completely enfeebled on the couch I’m not sure which is worse: the Ghost of Sickness Past or the Ghost of Sicknesses Yet to Come. Because it’s only a matter of time before Jacob Marley rattles his chains and the next family member takes his turn as the newest WC accessory…

It’s kind of suspenseful to see who will fall prey to the Holiday Ebola next—perhaps we should set up a pool. It would be nice to be able to earn some extra cash to spend at the sales.

If you’re reading this right now that means that you’ve been fortunate enough to dodge us and our contagious holiday greetings. Hope you’re healthy and happy and ready to ring in the new year!

*The quote for the title comes from Clement C. Moore's "Twas the night before Christmas" and the double entendre used to crack me up as a kid. It hits a little too close to home these days...
...When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash...

7 comments:

rjkiss said...

i know just what u mean about xmas viruses ... i was supposed to work tonite but i got sick . does the boss believe me .... noooooooo way .... i shall send her a bowl of green snot .ha ha !!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh no, you're sick! The worst that has happened to me is a runny nose (sniff as I type) so I completely sympathise. Better health in 2007, then! Oliebollen are being deepfried in my kitchen right now. I hope I survive the eating of it :)

christina said...

Oh geez, you poor thing! We pretty much escaped it this year, but other years have not been so good. Once we were at the in-laws and m-i-l had to leave the table in a BIG hurry right after Christmas dinner. That was fun. And then there was the year I turned 8 when my two younger brothers and I all got chicken pox a couple of days before Christmas.

Get well soon! And stay away from the Oliebollen. :-)

(P.S. Wanted to answer your last mail, just haven't gotten around to it yet)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that's two expat bloggers down at once. And G's got the beginnings of a flu too. I swear, it seems like it's coming bi-weekly these days. It was only a couple weeks ago our family got over the latest version, and now this. I've never seen (heard of) so many sick people in my life.

I sure hope you feel better soon.

Betsy said...

I'm feeling much better now, thanks, guys! But it took a couple of days-- I haven't been that sick in a loooong time!

Think I ended up puking out half of my brains, too-- I wrote in the post that I was in bed for 22 hours, but it was actually 34-- I went to bed at 11pm and didn't get out until 9am a day and a half later! Just slept or stared at the ceiling or threw up the whole time. It was a nightmare!

But am back to the old Betsy again. Am even starting to get my appetite back and am looking forward to New Years' Eve, olieballen and all! :-)

Happy New Year!
Betsy

Brit Kim said...

hope new year's eve is better for Ü - and make sure to know that it's the beginning of the year of the golden pig'gie ;) (read my last post to understand) take care

Anonymous said...

Oh, Poor Girl! I can relate - REALLY! (As you already know from HollywoodChills.) Well, I take it you're better? And the stains are out of the carpet?!?!?!?!?

Much Love, though I beg you to keep your killger germs to yourself!

Hope you got some other (better) presents!

Langford