01 December, 2006

Stardate December 6th

On December 6th we're supposed to be celebrating Sinterklaas along with 15,999,996 other Dutchies. And I haven't even started with presents, gedichten, traditional treats, etc.

Normally this might induce a panic right in line with forgetting to do my taxes or losing my dog, both of which have shortened my life significantly in the last three months. Procrastinating Sinter Klaas preparations is a really, really bad thing to do.

And yet here I am, spinning my wheels, running off in 4 different directions at once and I haven't given Zwarte Piet a second thought.

And that's where my guardian angels come in. My parents-in-law called on Wednesday-- said that they know we're busy and how would we like it if they came over and brought Sinterklaas with them? With all the trappings! It's like I've just been offered the ultimate Pimp my Holiday!

So tomorrow we will enter into a timewarp-- we will magically be transported to December 6th-- there will be presents and goodies and more than a few silly poems. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. That's the best Sinterklaas present anyone could have given me! :-)

3 comments:

africakidandtheworld said...

Happy Sinter Klaas! You have a lot of holidays, what with mixing American, German and Dutch traditions. But with inlaws like yours, you won't be as crazy... Now who can I find to cook my belated Thanksgiving turkey and put up Christmas decorations?

Carol said...

Remind me to do this for my kids -- just coming to "parenting rescue..." How I LOVED it when my parents and in-laws did this for us!

Have a Sinter Klaas!

carol

Betsy said...

Thanks! Yes, we're very lucky. Both my parents in law and my parents have saved our sorry butts on more than one occasion. I hope I'll be as good by following their example!