18 December, 2006

Hey hey BABY!

Last thursday I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and played hooky from class. Which gave me the same sort of rebellious adolescent thrill that I used to get when I skipped class in high school. (So my enrollment in the VHS is worth it even if only to recreate that heady excitement!)

Decided to pamper myself so I went out for a facial, something that would never usually even cross my mind. It turns out our salon had a special on a super dee-luxe treatment that included a massage and a masque. And then afterwards she even did my makeup.

All was well until I passed a mirror on the way out-- I looked like a two bit hooker! (the makeup was probably expensive, though, so maybe we're talking 2 1/2 or even 3 bits.) Pink and blue eyeshadow, thick lip liner and triple-coated eyelashes that would probably have better suited a drag queen! She'd even spackled me!

But at least after the massages I was totally relaxed; I probably could have made some extra tips if I had hit the corner right afterwards. And now I know where to go for prepping if I ever decide to change professions...

Image thanks to Günter Hofstädter

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

darling - was that an actual picture of YOU!?!?!? (tee hee) hey it's nice to know you now have a true fall-back plan; right?

much love - Langford

Anonymous said...

reminds me of the time I convinced you to go to merle norman for a"joint makeover" and the whole time I sat guffawing and cackling in the chair you were quietly directly your make-up girl to toned-down taupe's and while mine ran amok with sparkly teal eye shadow. I came out like a clown and you came out just Betsy with a bit of make-up...

Betsy said...

Hi Lang! But OF COURSE that was a picture of me! You know better than almost anyone else that I've always had a drag queen lurking inside me just bursting to get out!

LRod: You were luscious even with the extra coat of Merle Norman spackle!

Oh, and I'll have both of you know that S and B's favorite song lately has been "It's Raining Men". Which makes me wonder if there are going to be any grandchildren in my future. Or will we all end up having reunions at drag shows and celebrating the good old days?

christina said...

Wow, that must have been some make-up. I guess they wanted you to get your money's worth.

And hey, "It's Raining Men" is one of MY favourite songs too. But the real one by the Weather Girls, not that cheap What's Her Name Spice Girl imitation. Your boys have very good taste. I think. Who needs grandchildren anyway? ;-)