02 March, 2006

Sunshine and other unnatural phenomena

The sun is out! No, no, really, I'm not joking, the sun really is shining! According to a prominent Belgian newspaper February was officially the gloomiest month in the history of recorded weather in Belgium. (And that's really saying something!)

Median amount of hours of sunshine experienced during a typical February in Belgium: 72. How many did we get last month? 29! If this continues we will probably evolve into moles with sightless eyes and develop bat-like radar in order to help us get around...

So they've apparently found a replacement for me for when I leave my job. She has no webmastering background and is not even a native-English speaker. And for some reason I've suddenly started feeling proprietary about one of my projects. I doubt she'll even be able to start before I leave but I'm feeling evil about the whole thing anyway.

Isn't there a golden rule about not doing anything extreme with your hair during times of upheaval?! Why oh why haven't I heeded common sense?

Went back to get my hair cut this afternoon-- the cut is less extreme but the stylist convinced me that I should add a dash of color. And I was fine with it-- we agreed upon a color that was pretty close to the one I had last time. Which was, shall we say, unconventional, but wouldn't have stopped people in the streets or made small children cry. This one renders people speechless.

I don't know if he was just bored or if he has a secret grudge against me, but I'm now left wondering which I resemble more closely: Ronald McDonald or a red-headed Superhero.

It's certainly not mousy. OK, we could call this striking. (if we're hedging about calling it a big-ass mistake) We could call it bold. And at least it looks "done" since it's shiny. but, um, I'm starting to run out of positive aspects here. And I guess I'm just punchy because all I can do is laugh about it-- it's that bad.

Have not hit the embarrassment phase yet, but that's sure to come..... Maybe the lack of sunshine really has affected my brain. At this moment I might actually be grateful if I and everyone around me really did developed sightless mole eyes. At least until I can get back to looking like a mortal again...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could any hairdo described as “superhero like” and “shiny” be in bad taste? No, I am sure it is quite nice. At the very least, you can refer to it as a “conversation starter.” I am glad to hear that you have some sunshine. It is rainy here in New York this afternoon. This morning, there was ice falling out of the sky. Later we had snow. The weather people say it is going to get worse. My indoor rock climbing adventure for this evening was even canceled. How bad does the weather have to be before they cancel indoor activities?

Dani said...

I relate my friend. I tend to go after a new do when I'm going through a period of change. It's only hair after all. I bet it looks smashing.

africakidandtheworld said...

At least you're laughing! And at least you didn't name any of your children Ronald...(that's what my husband wanted to do, after some remote Scottish relatives--fortunately, I prevailed). Most of all, you're bringing some extreme color to the non-sunny days.

Anonymous said...

I liked it, honestly!