11 March, 2006

I'm back!

I'm back, and boy do I ever love Amsterdam! Most of the cities I have visited for this job have been exciting for their mystery and strangeness. Amsterdam was the equivalent of a fleece sweater and a big pair of fuzzy slippers!

I can't say I know the city well, but have probably been a few dozen times over the last decade. Many street corners held such nice memories: concerts, festivals, sumptuous meals. I love the architecture and the cobblestone streets! And I just love the Dutch! They are so straightforward and I really recognize a lot of myself mirrored back at me--it's a culture that really speaks to me!

Arrived home and the kids were full of enthusiasm and anecdotes. S was brandishing a black eye sustained in some sort of stunt and I swear B grew 5 centimeters just in the week I was gone!

This evening B broke a rule and punishment was swift and merciless: no dessert. When we finished dinner S got three pieces of candy, one of which he immediately passed to B! M and I smiled at each other and I actually got tears in my eyes!

We try so hard to instill a sense of compassion in our boys and every now and then we catch a small glimpse of it, like the silver flash of a fish as it flits past in sun dappled waters.

1 comment:

africakidandtheworld said...

Don't you love it when you catch siblings actually being civil, or better yet, caring to each other? Glad you didn't miss that moment.
PS. Welcome back from Amsterdam!