22 March, 2006

Mindfulness and concentration

I've been spinning my wheels this last week, completely consumed by bouts of frustration and anxiety over small things which are out of my control. And I realized that I've fallen into a vicious cycle of stress and my negative reaction toward it. The ironic thing is that as a fitness freak I've been compulsively taking care of my physical body but have allowed my psyche to become flabby.

Pre-kids I went through phases when I meditated regularly and really felt a difference in my ability to cope with stressful situations. Obviously I have less free time now, but I've also got more stress. And I've been feeling so out of sorts lately it's really time to get disciplined and try to regain my balance.

I ordered a new Vipassana meditation workbook with CDs and they arrived yesterday. Have done a couple of sessions so far and am amazed at how much more grounded I already feel! Plan to make a concerted effort to keep it up and hope to be back to my old cheerful self very soon...

1 comment:

Brit Kim said...

http://www.bookstore.artofliving.org/productslist.aspx?CategoryID=26&selection=11


if you get around to it - these are some of my personal favorite meditations -- and if you get 20 minutes of personal time....