10 February, 2007

To the beat of his own drum... (II)

Saturday morning, crack of dawn. I'm dragged up from the depths of sleep by a small person crawling under the covers and curling up next to me.

B: Mom, when did we get Monster, that cat we had?
Me: Mnnnnnnfffff. March 93.
B: Oh. And how old was he when he died?
Me: ....... 11.
B: Uh huh. It's too bad about his tail.
Me: ...
B: Mom?! I SAID it's too bad about his tail!
Me: B, what are you talking about?
B: Well, when the vet put him to sleep he chopped off his tail.
Me: (now completely awake) What??!! They didn't chop his tail off! Where did you hear that?
B: You told me they did! Why did you tell me that if it wasn't true? (leaves the bed in disgust)

???

What a surreal way to start off the weekend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least he think you did the chopping!

africakidandtheworld said...

maybe he has the makings of a good fiction writer??

Betsy said...

He seems like he's going to be pretty creative-- maybe so! .

But the thing is that he was actually annoyed with me because he was sure I'd told him this at some point. So it was either a dream or he's confusing two different memories. Either way it was a pretty strange way to wake up...

Anonymous said...

2 different memories? what's he remembering that got chopped off?

chloe

Betsy said...

Not too long ago we saw a great doberman with its tail and ears intact. And it looked so unusual-- I told the kids about docking and how that's illegal here now. That's the only thing I can think of.

Astrid said...

Talk about being left looking like a question mark!!!

Carol said...

Soumds like HE was the one dreaming! :-)

Carol