12 February, 2007

Easy like Sunday mornin'

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh. That's better. After having burned the candle at three ends the last few months I now have a two-week break. German classes will resume on the 27th, when I start a new module, which, mercifully, only meets 3 times a week. Which means more homework, but also more flexibility.

And in the meantime I'm enjoying my time off. Took a long walk with D this morning, and ran a few errands. Finally finished up the first phase of a webmastering project that I've been shamefully procrastinating.

Slogged my way through 15 pages of a German translation of Italian feminist fiction and used "language-training" as an excuse to lounge for a half-hour with a cup of coffee in front of a tawdry soap opera. (you couldn't find two more polar opposites if you tried!)

Have decided that I really want to learn how to play guitar. Maybe I'm inspired by our blues-playing neighbor. Maybe it's the ghost of Moscow memories and talented friends who serenaded us many evenings with after-dinner tunes.

Whatever the reason, I popped into a local music studio this morning to see what kind of classes they offer. And I start tomorrow!!! I was a little taken aback when he said he could fit me in so quickly, but hey, it's never too soon to start jamming! ;-)

S and B are wildly enthusiastic. They have already lined up a list of things for me to learn how to play, including the Arctic Monkeys' Mardy Bum* and Touché** from Godsmack. Somehow I don't think this is really what the teacher has planned for me. :-D

Oh, and I take comfort in this article from the BBC today and will make sure I re-read it next time I am feeling freakish....

*Thanks to Brooklyn Lad for the mp3!
**Found this clip on someone named Jessi's website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could add some Black Sabbath to your list. ;-)

Goofball said...

oooh I sometimes tell myself to learn the guitar! My secret dream is to ever being able to play "Concerto de Aranjez" from Joaquin Rodrigo. Wooowwwww, pure joy to listen to that. How incredible fantastic has it to be to being able to play such a piece! I recommend it. ...but I think that the oboe part might be easier to learn. Oh well it doesn't hurt to have wild impossible unrealistic dreams.


But playing music is soooo much fun. But I've never taken the steps to actually learn the guitar. Keep us up to date on your new skill!

christina said...

Yay on the guitar! We need a backup for the ukuleles! I took guitar lessons when I was a teenager and it's not that hard to learn.

German lessons three times a week will be way more relaxing. I can remember taking them five days a week and being exhausted and I didn't even have kids then.

Betsy said...

What is it with the Ukeleles? You, Sal, NerdsEyeView and some other random blogger I can't remember have recently written starry-eyed postings on the subject!

Hope that I get a chance to meet up with you in person at some point so that you can give me a crash course. I've always wanted to learn to play "Tiptoe through the Tulips" and sing like Tiny Tim...