15 February, 2007

Close call

Every evening just before bedtime we all cuddle up together and S and I take turns reading aloud. It's one of my favorite times of the day- warm, cozy and one of the few moments that the boys actually sit still at the same time.

Last night S was reading aloud from a book in which the teacher asks the class to name their favorite animal. One girl said "Dinosaurs" and a boy started laughing at her and said: "Boy, you're dumb! And I'll bet you believe in Santa Claus too!"

I think I stopped breathing for a second, because against all odds S still believes in Santa.

My mind was racing to try and think up an explanation. Or better yet, a diversion! I was just about to fake a seizure when S smiled thoughtfully and said:

"Well, actually he's the dumb one because dinosaurs died out a long time ago and Santa Claus is still alive!"

Whew...

4 comments:

Astrid said...

Funny!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hug that WONDERFUL child for me, please!

Gramma

Philip said...

Ha! I love the power of belief!!!!!!

Love the new author photo too!

R. Duckie said...

Wow, he's a fast thinker! Smart cookie :)
Stacey