16 November, 2006

Ummmmm thanks?

Answered the door this afternoon to find a neighbor standing there with a bunch of pine branches in her arms. She smiled, said, "I thought you might like these!" And then she laid them down on the doorstep and walked off.

??????????

So I stood there for a while completely perplexed. S was standing behind me and whispered "What the heck did she do that for?"

My first thought was that her compost can was full and that I could do her a favor by stuffing them into mine. But this was obviously a kind gesture, so I brought them inside, at least until we figure out what to do with them.

Being the anti-Martha Stewart that I am, they lay there languishing on the floor for several hours. I've now crammed them into a vase and given them some water, much to M's amusement.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I can do with these things? (aside from throw them out at the first possible opportunity?)

8 comments:

swissmiss said...

Perhaps she thought you'd want to make an advent wreath? That's all I can think of...

Anonymous said...

Or a door wreath for your door.
The advent wreath sounds like the thing. That's what everyone is doing about this time of year. If the branches are bendy that's likely what they were intended for, and if that's the case, from a German person this is a big compliment. She took the initiative and included you + gave you a gift of nature. Congratulations, Ms. Popularity. :) No one here's ever given me anything but a hard time the whole eight years I've lived here.

Betsy said...

How 'bout I give you a good deal on some slightly wilted pine branches? ;-)

Goofball said...

yep, I immediately thought of a advent circle type of thing as well (is wreath the word?).
Or advent table piece.

Unknown said...

She probably knows about your blog and wants to see how you react to her mysterious act.

Betsy said...

:-D !!!!!! OK, well, then I could be evil and say I ate them with a side of fava beans.

Or I could tell the truth and let her know that I've got them arranged in a bucket on my balcony just like she does. But then without the ribbons. and without the elegant terra cotta pot to put the bucket in. And that I think it was very nice of her to think of me but that I'm probably the lamest decorator on the face of the planet...

J said...

New reader here from Mausi's blog. I have to say that I just about fell outta my chair laughing reading this post.

christina said...

They were probably supposed to be for Advent, which starts Dec. 1, but I don't know if they'd last that long. Some people stick them in a vase and put decorations on them like a little pre-Christmas tree.