10 November, 2006

Good thing I'm not a lemming

Have to leave my class early on Wednesdays and Fridays to make it back on time to pick S up from school. Feel a bit bad about ducking out early, so I was relieved today to hear that a classmate had to leave early as well-- ten minutes after I did.

We were in the middle of a very intense class discussion when she started gathering up her things to leave and I realized- OH SHIT! I AM TOTALLY LATE GETTING OUT OF HERE TO PICK UP S!!! (S still isn't completely comfortable in his own skin and has had a complete breakdown on the rare occasion that I've been late.)

Switched into full-on panic mode-- grabbed my things, waved goodbye and nearly broke my neck racing out to the parking lot.

Frantically called home to see if someone was home who could get there any faster to pick S up. No answer.

My parents-in-law are here as well and have their cell phone with them so I called M at work to get the number. No answer. My message on his machine was basically: AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!

He called me back a few minutes later and when I explained what was going on he started laughing. "Umm, Bets? You have to pick S up at 12? It's just past 11, so there's no problem."

???

My watch? Totally correct. My classmate's watch must still be on daylight savings time. And a combination of too little sleep and too much coffee caused me to fly into a complete panic without checking the time myself. If I were a lemming I wouldn't have been around to type this post... :-P

7 comments:

Carol said...

Ya know why I like you, Betsy? because you're so REAL! And fun... and self-effacing.

Carol

Goofball said...

what the hell is a lemming?

Betsy said...

:-D They're little rodents that live in groups and follow each other without thinking. Supposedly if one panics and jumps off of a cliff they all follow right along after it.

According to Wikipedia the whole mass suicide thing is just a myth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming) but that the term is still used as slang for anyone who mindlessly follows the crowd, even if it leads to certain destruction...

Betsy said...

In het Nederlands heet het ook een bergmuis.

Brit Kim said...

Dear Betsy
you've been off-blogging these past couple of days.. hope u're not gone lemming after all!! will mail u but hope u look up my blog from now on.. :)

http://weallcomefromseoul.blogspot.com/

and ps.I liked your observations on the 'sweating man' - life is so very surprising sometimes - the good surprises and sometimes the unexpected ones that can be hard to place in any category...

Brit Kim said...

pps. It sounded like a threat.. well what I MEANT to say is . that from now on my blog is .. :)

weallcomefromseoul.blogspot.com

africakidandtheworld said...

Sounds like something I might do-- (full scale alarm mode, followed by realization of my lemming-hood)!
Did you sit by the door at class next time, the better to streak out of there?