04 November, 2006

Here we go again...

Went to pick B up from kindergarten yesterday and had the dog with me. Was trying to explain to two of the teachers that labradors were orignally bred as hunting dogs and can swim very well-- they actually have webbed toes!

And of course my German vocabulary came up short so I resorted to using Dutch words with a German accent. Sort of Germanified: Zij heeft vliesen tussen haar tenen.

Which came out as: Sie hat Vliesen zwischen ihren Zähnen.

Or: "She's got tiles between her teeth"

And I said it with a smile on my face! (and pointing to D's feet, and not her teeth!)

Even as I look at it now it makes perfect sense to me as to where I went wrong, but for those teachers what I said must have seemed completely random and bizarre! It's only a matter of time before I arrive at the kindergarten to be greeted by men in white coats with tranquilizers...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I read the German and Dutch out loud it sounds a lot alike! But I'll bet it sounded funny to a German! :-)
Chloe

Betsy said...

Hi Chloe!

I know, I know. *groan*

And you know how it is, since the grammar and so many of the words are similar what you say comes out sounding fluent. But sometimes it's just a bunch of nonsense...

africakidandtheworld said...

But it's because you're willing to make those silly mistakes that you're moving ahead quickly! (Even if you do scare the teachers occasionally).

christina said...

Ha! That's so funny! I'm sorry, but it made me laugh my head off. I'm thinking back to times where I may have said something totally weird and didn't even realize it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think I had some tiles between my teeth this morning; had to really floss well.

Lis