22 November, 2006

Slightly rumpled, partially used posting.

One thing I really like about the Germans is that their commitment to recycling. I'm trying to follow their example and recycle as much as possible.

Which explains why I have no qualms about reusing the content of an email I wrote to a friend today. Have no time or energy at the moment to come up with something new so I'm going to pull this out of the bin, dust it off on my sleeve and pass it off as a fresh blog posting.

So without further ado, here's my response to a friend's request for news:
  1. The dog got trapped in the laundry room sometime between breakfast and the time we made our mass exodus this morning. Price of this mishap? One spiderman shirt which now looks like S received 40 lashes while wearing it.
  2. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I'm torn between doing the right thing and pretending that I've never heard of this integral American holiday and all the hoopla that surrounds it. Feel obliged to prepare a big meal but have no time, energy or inspiration. Bought a prefab roast chicken this afternoon and will try to think up some quicker / easier variations on all the side dishes.
  3. Despite repeatedly embarrassing myself I continually forget that the verb "to call" in German is "anrufen". Instead I insist on using the Dutch verb "bellen", which in German means "to bark like a dog". That's gotten some strange looks...
  4. Everyone here seems to think my name is "Betty" and cannot remember "Betsy" for some reason. Betty reminds me of a waitress in a roadside diner. With bad shoes and a wad of gum in her mouth.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Nice recycled post, Betty! ;-)

I'm curious how well-known Thanksgiving IS in Germany?! We'll miss Laura, our exchange student, especially much tomorrow because she SO loved Thanksgiving!

Carol

Anonymous said...

Haha, enjoyed it as much the second time around.

According to urban legend, when you drink London tap water it has already been through five other people. Now that's recycling.

Betsy said...

Hi Carol! (and hi again, CC!!!)

No, I haven't heard anything mentioned about Thanksgiving here. Although I have to say that B's teacher asked him to tell something about it in kindergarten this morning.

It's really hard to celebrate it here as well, since it's just like any other Thursday. Felt obliged to go out of my way to put together something out of the ordinary. But my plan backfired and Thanksgiving ended up getting thrown under the wheels of a birthday party and a meeting that caused M to get home 2 hours late.

I don't think I ever had any illusions of a Norman Rockwell kind of dinner, but it would have been nice to at least all be able to eat at the same time. Or if the kids hadn't been so tired that they were almost falling asleep in their plates.

It's been a pretty disappointing evening for me so far. Am trying to remind myself that the whole point of this holiday is to be thankful....