25 October, 2005

Self portrait

What would you include if you had to draw a self portrait? In general, I think adults tend to focus on their actions or surroundings- they would draw themselves playing football in a park or driving a Ferrari. Perhaps this has as much to do with preoccupation with outside activities as with being self-conscious about their ability to accurately draw the human form.

B was just busy with a string of sketches of himself. And all of them included the same things: head, eyes, body, penis and legs. I don't know which I thought was more interesting, what he chose to include, or what he left out.

It was time for dinner, and there was time for one last self portrait. He told me that he was going to make this one extra special. It started out the same as the others, with him narrating each body part earnestly as he was drawing it: head, eyes, tummy, penis, legs and...

bloody feet. (???)

What I wouldn't give to spend a few minutes in the mind of a four year old boy! :-D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a very interesting question. A few years ago a friend of mine started to send me an email and I think he accidentally sent it before it was finished. When it got to me, it simply said, “I am.” Now I am sure he meant to include something about being ready to go to lunch or other such message, but then I thought, what a profound exercise it would be to fill in the rest of the sentence. I remember it every few months and repeat the exercise. I have asked other friends to finish the sentence and have gotten varying levels of interesting responses. Great post!!