22 June, 2007

"Misunderstandings" big and small

Was out running errands this morning and on an impulse I stopped off at one of those fresh-air stands that seem to sprout up like mushrooms on German streetcorners in the summer. This one had a really nice selection of sundried tomatoes and olives, and I asked for 100 grams of three different kinds.

He doled out 150 grams each.

Which irritated me, but, whatever, I figured I'd take them all anyway.

And then he overcharged me 1,50 Euro.

Because, obviously I have "foreigner = stupid motherfucker" tattooed on my forehead.

I'm finally far enough along language-wise that I can handle this sort of situation tactfully. I suggested that there had been a "misunderstanding" and that I would like the rest of my money back. This was somewhat more effective than the last tactic, which was to loudly demand the rest of my change and refuse to leave until I got it. (Which, actually worked as well, it just took a lot more energy and stamina.)

But this small victory didn't really make me feel any better. Am running on too little sleep and too much adrenaline. Just received a letter from the Verbrauchercentrale- they have formally closed my file on 1&1 and say they can't help me any further. And just to throw salt in the wound they tossed in a "and just because you don't speak "perfect" German is not grounds enough to continue with your case". ("Leider ist auch die Tatsache, dass Sie noch nicht perfekt Deutsch sprechen, ein Grund, für Sie etwas erreichen zu können."-- There's an error in there, isn't there? didn't she mean to write "kein Grund"?)

You know, often things that make living in a foreign country so interesting and worthwhile are the same issues that grind you down and completely ennervate you.

I was about to reference the popular Schwabian saying about "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" but have decided against it. Last night we made the mistake of renting "Blood Diamond" about the harrowing situation in Sierra Leone in the 1990's. (I just looked it up to get the link from IMDB and saw that the keywords were: "Rape / Massacre / Redemption / Goat / 1990s". Sure wish I'd known this beforehand-- there's only so much massacre and goats that I can handle in any given 24 hour period.) I only made it through about 45 minutes before I had to get up and leave the room. In the big picture I guess my problems with 1&1 are small potatoes. At least no one is chasing my children with a machete...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firebomb 1&1. You have my blessing. You tried all other avenues.

Astrid said...

I think I have the very same tattoo!!! :) I'm so fed up of people trying to ripp me off for any petty thing. Ex: I called a taxi service in Italy for a night pick-up and asked the price. The answer was 50 euros for two people and 100 euros for four. The car ride would have taken 12.5 minutes. I'd love to see the taxi driver pulling that one off on a local guy! Arrg.

Anonymous said...

What a stinker! That line was completely inappropriate. Ein Grund reads to me like a grammatical error as well. I feel for you and really wish there was a way to retaliate with the same arrogance and get your money back. A double feel good-er. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Betsy!? Didn't the title "Blood Diamond" tip you off that it wouldn't be a feel-good movie? We saw it too and I cried through almost the whole thing!

africakidandtheworld said...

I only watched about half of "Hotel Rwanda" and had to quit. It hit too close to home, because I knew people who'd gone through those exact same circumstances. You're right, it does give perspective re: our smaller problems...(but I'm still mad at 1&1 for you).

Unknown said...

In a small way I am indentifying with a lot of what you wrote today. You're such a good writer (what beautiful English you have :-D ) and I would just like to remind you that very very few people in the world can go about living in a foreign country the way you do it. Where you get the energy and the guts from, I just don't know. Three cheers for Betsy!

Betsy said...

You know, I was just thinking that this post is the perfect example of the pleasures of blogging. It can be so cathartic to write everything down and then on top of it all your comments give me the "warm fuzzies". :-) Thanks!