20 June, 2007

Life in the fast lane

I asked him to smile. *groan*

One of M's colleagues has had shoulder surgery and is having trouble shifting in her manual Crossfire cabrio. So she asked for a huge favor:

Could she please give us her car and drive the (automatic) Pimpmobile for a week.

Hmmm. Let me think....

It's 30 degrees out and the sun is shining.

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesYESOHMYGODYES!!!!!

I've never driven a sportscar like this, and M is indulging my curiosity-- this week he's driving the PT and I get the Crossfire. For. a. whole. week.

You know that clichéed advice on making the most out of life: "Do something that scares you"? Well the first few minutes in this car were terrifying-- the engine roars when you even breathe near the gas pedal, reverse is in the "wrong" place on the gearshift and the rear window is the size of a pocket mirror.

But I got over all that all pretty quickly. It's pathetic how much I'm loving this car. I never realized I have a macho adolescent side to me, but he's clamoring to get out. I haven't gotten as far as listening to Snoop Dogg yet-- thank God my time with this thing is limited because I think we're creating a monster...

9 comments:

Astrid said...

Looks like you've done quite a good swap there! Lovely piece of metal :)

Goofball said...

I've always wondered....is the wind not bothering you when you drive? Do your eyes not get watery? And does your hair gets messy?
Or is the windshield actually protecting you from that all?


Looks quite macho but cool :). I wouldn't mind trying such a car for a week either!

Betsy said...

Believe it or not the wind in the front seat isn't all that bad, especially if you've got the windows up-- that blocks most of it.

The back seat, however, is a different story. Maybe that's why this car doesn't have one. ;-)

Unknown said...

So why is it you don't have one of these? I was in a Volvo thingy the other day. The driver had the aircon on AND the top down. Weird use of energy but it kept the cabin cool while still having the people exposed to the world. Some design work goes into these things, huh?

Betsy said...

Because it's a two seater? Because you can't fit more than a lunchbox and a handful of peanuts in the trunk? Because it's horrendously expensive?

No, I'm still very happy with my PT, thanks.

I suppose technically M could lease one if he wanted to, but then he couldn't pull that big-ass monstrosity of a caravan, could he?

I gave back the keys this afternoon and have no regrets. Had a fun week but it's nice to get back to status quo. (That and to be relatively anonymous when you have to back in and out 10+ times while parallel parking on streets near the school... ;-) )

Goofball said...

haha

sorry , had to laugh about the parking attempts.... that happens to me too though, so I am not mocking you. There are times that I park perfectly and sometimes I try 4 times and then drive away frustrated because I did not manage to get in in a spot that I should obviously be able to park in. but that I am simply too ashamed to continue to try.

Betsy said...

I so know that feeling! If I'm relaxed I can usually get it on the first try, but if I'm tense and there's traffic building up behind me-- forget it.

I remember a couple of times in downtown Brussels when I got so fed up that I finally gave up and circled around for another 15 minutes until I found another spot...

R. Duckie said...

LOVE the car!! It must feel great to drive.
If the Dalai Lama sang, I would be there too.

Unknown said...

I bet the Dalai Lama likes Beatles songs. He looks like the kind of guy. Can't you just see him? Headphones on and feet tapping...