04 August, 2006

The Hostess with the Mostest

Here’s a new trick—blogging from the front seat of the 300C. We’re on the way to NL for the weekend and just passed Worms. Which is a funny name for a city but still sounds more appetizing than the beige dirt-encrusted salad I just tried to choke down at Burger King.

M brought a couple more new colleagues home for dinner yesterday. And, determined not to reenact the flashing incident I’ve officially removed gazpacho from my repertoire.

As usual we hit a time crunch just before ETA-- I got sucked into that black hole that strikes when one is taking care of dogs and small children.

I’d just finished vacuuming when D came in, exhaled and expelled a few dozen hairballs out onto the floor. Threw her and the boys outside and went back to making pesto.

Got about five minutes further when I heard screams and gagging noises from the yard. B had apparently driven his Flintstones car through a steaming pile of fresh dog poop and then continued across the porch leaving a fragrant trail behind him.

Cleanup was long and complicated. Left me wishing desperately for a one-way ticket to Hawaii a pair of tongs and a pressure hose.

We ended up eating takeout pizza.

We’ll be entertaining a new set of colleagues next week. What’s that saying about “third time’s the charm”? That or “bad luck comes in threes”….

6 comments:

Man said...

You have a great sense of humor. I would of gone postal.

Unknown said...

Er and I went to the national museum in Berlin. They had a big exhibition on about Jews in Europe, and did you know that Worms was one of the original communities from way back when?! It looked amazing (from the 3D movie). Maybe you could visit?

Brit Kim said...

So good that you're back on the blog in between your social life as running house wife and house keeping! sounds like life in S. is great! was about to invite you to Health And Happiness workshop in S. in July but.. heard from Chris that you were on vac. - He actually dropped by Cph and we had a chai - nice to c him. Check out my new blog where I'd like to collect/post wisdom stories.. and although most hopefully will be ancient wisdom stories.. some of your everyday wisdom stories would fit right in!! like learning the art of patience and absolute ego-busting (thinking about the gazpacho :o )

http://heartofalotus.blogspot.com/

africakidandtheworld said...

Have fun in the NL! Is your tongue going to be more or less confused as you revert to Dutch after Deutsch?

Betsy said...

Hi! Tongue and brain were very confused. Funny how quickly German has started to seep in and pollute my Dutch!

It was such a relief to be able to relax and express myself without having to think about grammar or vocabulary!

Am afraid that it's going to be a long time before I'm able to be able to relax in German, but I'm optimistic that it might actually happen some day...

How's yours coming along?

Anonymous said...

Funny you talk about worms being more appetising than a burger. I have vague memories of a Diet of Worms from school (history class, though the canteen spaghetti does spring to mind)

Wikipedia: At the Diet of Worms, Luther is said to have spoken these words: "Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen." ("Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen.")

Maybe you should add that to your banter with the neighbours. :-)