29 July, 2006

I'm nothing if not elegant...

One evening last week I was out front skateboarding with S and B while they were bicycling on the street. We were just finishing up lap 299 when we turned around and saw M's very distinctive car turn the corner! His business dinner must have been cancelled! YAHOO!!!

Was so excited I started jumping up and down and waving. Even did a little happy dance in the middle of the street! And then he got closer and I froze mid-hop.

It. wasn't. him.

Shit.

Yet another neighbor struck down by Operation Betsy.

He kind of twiddled his fingers as he drove past. Actually I think that was a small diversion so that I wouldn't see him locking the car doors and grabbing his can of mace.

I was mortified. But, determined to clear my name, I followed him to his driveway and approached him sheepishly as he stepped out of his car.

Using my best German I smiled and stammered out something that must have sounded like:

"Sorry I am. Me thinking youse my husband."

the only thing that could have made the situation worse would have been if I'd have pulled out a hip flask and had taken a swig.

Actually, now that I think of it, I wish I'd had an alcoholic beverage with me. It would have made the walk 'o shame back home so much more palatable...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Betsy! I am sitting here howling with laughter and I promise you - tears streaming down my face. If you carry on like this it's no wonder the legendary German stand-offishness has no effect on you! You'll be the favourite neighbour in no time. Well done you!

Betsy said...

I'm wondering which will come first: favourite neighbor status or a restraining order?

africakidandtheworld said...

I could send a crate of eis wein--my husband went a little crazy and bought far more than we'll ever drink.