13 June, 2006

Too good to be true!

This weekend was great, but very surreal. I flew in for about 36 hours-- so weird (and fantastic!) to eat breakfast at home and then to hang out with my brother, sister-in-law and parents that same evening!

Another small detail that added to the Twilight Zone quality of the trip: my flight happened to be routed through O'Hare in Chicago where L lives. L and I have been fast friends since that fateful day in 10th grade when I tripped over my own feet and went sailing past her desk.

L is one of the few constants in my life-- one of the only friends who's stuck by me through thick and thin and weathered all the changes that inevitably come with with age and multiple moves. She's one of those rare, precious people who knows how to put my worries into context and who can cheer me up no matter how lackluster I'm feeling!

So I was flying back on Sunday afternoon, happy, but so fatigued I couldn't even see straight. Was starving because I refused to eat the high-fat, high-priced fare at the airport. Landed in Chicago with only a few minutes between flights-- was sprinting from one gate to the next when I got an SMS to make a detour past baggage claim.

And there was L with a lunchbox stuffed with healthy food! I had that same feeling you get as a kid when Santa has brought you exactly what you wanted most on your list!

If I had any artistic ability at all I would be busy chiseling a bust of L into marble! I love, love, LOVE this woman!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww - you're the best, B! Thanks for the kind words. It was great seeing you. Look forward to a longer visit hopefully soon.

xxx, oooo and ooooooooooooooooooooo ***Flannery-style ;)