05 June, 2006

The Dalai Lama visits Brussels

I just got finished with four days worth of teachings by the Dalai Lama here in Brussels.

The first three days were a set of in-depth lectures on Buddhist philosophy. His Holiness expounded on 5 chapters of a famous text written by Nagarjuna.

Today was a special ceremony for some of the monks, which was also very interesting.

The first day I showed up not realizing just how in-depth the lectures would be and I was pretty lost. Did some research, though, and got caught up-- this ended up being an extremely interesting crash course in Buddhism both as a religion and as a philosophy.

Everything you've heard about the Dalai Lama is true-- he's warm, funny and extremely charismatic. Even in a room filled with 4,000 people he still managed to be personable and to keep everyone's attention and admiration.

Think I need to let the dust settle, but I can honestly already say that this has been one of the most impressive experiences I've ever had.

(Photo thanks to the Tibetan Institute)

2 comments:

christina said...

Wow, that must have been fantastic. A friend of my mum's met him while she was traveling and said he was amazing.

Brit Kim said...

It's true..I went not long ago when he visited Copenhagen in...1996!! UpsZ. that voice is like listening to something out in the free nature isn't it:) you might like this cd then which was a hit apparently in Spain

http://monjesbudistas.net/

if you click Las 13 Canciones you can listen to the cd.

I got José to buy one and post me! it's not easy to buy here in Copenhagen ..love networking