24 February, 2011

Not one of my finer moments.

This morning I was perched on the sofa, stealing reading time before I walked B to school. Was totally engrossed in my book and went to reach for my ginormous glass o' tea without looking, knocked it over and THE WHOLE THING SPLASHED OVER A STRIP OF ELECTRICAL OUTLETS THAT WAS LYING NEXT TO IT!

The whole house went dark. I was so shocked (har har) that I was also afraid to put my feet down on the ground because there was tea there too and I was convinced I'd electrocute myself, B would rush to my aid, electrocute himself, and S would come home after school to find our charred remains floating in a scummy pool of Japanese sencha.

Luckily I pulled myself together and called M-- of course he was in the car with a couple of colleagues, which made me feel even stupider, because I was on speakerphone. Hi, yes, this is your wife, and I've, ummmm, done something very stupid.

All's well that ends well. I mopped everything up, cleaned the pools of tea out of the electrical strip and unplugged it, and when I flipped the fuse the house hummed back to life without shocking the beejeezus out of me...

Thank god for small miracles.

2 comments:

Goofball said...

I'd go to the main switch of the house first and turn it off. Then wonder what to do next

Betsy said...

See, that's why I ended up calling M. Felt really stupid, but we were sitting there in the dark and I was like: "Now what?"

(Answer was: clean it up and then flip the fuse again and see if everything comes back on OK. DUH. Sometimes you just need a nudge in the right direction. ;-))