24 February, 2011

Not one of my finer moments.

This morning I was perched on the sofa, stealing reading time before I walked B to school. Was totally engrossed in my book and went to reach for my ginormous glass o' tea without looking, knocked it over and THE WHOLE THING SPLASHED OVER A STRIP OF ELECTRICAL OUTLETS THAT WAS LYING NEXT TO IT!

The whole house went dark. I was so shocked (har har) that I was also afraid to put my feet down on the ground because there was tea there too and I was convinced I'd electrocute myself, B would rush to my aid, electrocute himself, and S would come home after school to find our charred remains floating in a scummy pool of Japanese sencha.

Luckily I pulled myself together and called M-- of course he was in the car with a couple of colleagues, which made me feel even stupider, because I was on speakerphone. Hi, yes, this is your wife, and I've, ummmm, done something very stupid.

All's well that ends well. I mopped everything up, cleaned the pools of tea out of the electrical strip and unplugged it, and when I flipped the fuse the house hummed back to life without shocking the beejeezus out of me...

Thank god for small miracles.


Goofball said...

I'd go to the main switch of the house first and turn it off. Then wonder what to do next

Betsy said...

See, that's why I ended up calling M. Felt really stupid, but we were sitting there in the dark and I was like: "Now what?"

(Answer was: clean it up and then flip the fuse again and see if everything comes back on OK. DUH. Sometimes you just need a nudge in the right direction. ;-))