02 November, 2008

Would you like fries with that?

Because it's cheaper and healthier we usually prepare and eat most of our meals in our camper. Yesterday, however, we decided to end our vacation on an elegant note and ate dinner at a local hotel whose restaurant is recognized by Michelin.

When the waiter got to our table he smiled kindly at the kids and mentioned that chicken nuggets or schnitzel were also available "just in case they don't find anything they like on the menu."

M and I looked at each other and smiled- that definitely wouldn't be necessary. We've always encouraged the kids to be intrepid eaters.

Shortly thereafter we watched in fascination as B worked his way through a huge bowl of mussels and clams. S enjoyed a salad and then they both tucked into steaming plates of nettles gnocci and a couple of lobsters.

It was such a pleasure to see the single-minded concentration and the joy with which they savored their food!

It's funny how sometimes the pleasure of parenthood sneaks up on you! I felt suddenly ambushed by delight and pride in these two openminded, interested little people! This meal will stand out in my memory as exceptional, and it's only partly due to the chef's stellar talent with truffel sauce!

5 comments:

Astrid said...

Suddenly my beef stew planned for tonight didn't seem so good in comparison to a few lobsters and mussel soups... Oh, how I wish I was somewhere in Italy now, maybe in my favourite trattoria in Lavagna with a bottle of red :)

Mental note: need to plan a weekend away!

Jen said...

What a joy! My own DS was very adventurous until 7 and then it all shut down. He's starting to open up again at 15, though.

He does like mussels and clams and lobster. ;-)

anno said...

Mmmm... wonderful meal! But I'd probably get the fries, too, just to soak up more of that truffle sauce... Belated good wishes for your exam today -- hope everything went well!

Goofball said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm why do I only have boring sandwiches here for lunch.

(no wonder you eat in the camper....it's the size of a restaurant :p...sorry, I had to throw that in)

Betsy said...

That made me laugh out loud! :-D