03 April, 2006

What a difference a day makes!

Finished up with my job on Friday and have been caught up in a maelstrom of self pity the last few days. Not necessarily because I'll be missing the director's frequent tantrums or the catty politics around the office, but I'm having a hard time turning in my identity of "webmaster extraordinaire". ;-)

Funny, I wasn't at all enthusiastic when I went back to work after a 3 1/2 year study / pregnancy / international move-induced-hiatus. We needed the money and I needed the web experience, but I really enjoyed my little microcosm and was not looking forward to flinging myself headfirst into the rat race.

But I did. Made some friends, learned some new web tricks, traveled a little, and settled into a groove and now BAM! Have hit a wall going about 200 km / hour and now have to relearn simplicity. Relearn contentment. Relearn solitude. Which will happen, but I'm afraid it's going to take some time...

Started to pull out of my funk this afternoon and then a friend showed up with a bottle of good wine, some cheese, and best of all, her kids! One would think this is not conducive to relaxation, but they ended up keeping my boys busy for more than an hour so that I could sit and talk and really enjoy some one-on-one adult company for the first time in days.

If it wasn't for streaming media I might not have otherwise heard an adult voice in this house before Saturday!!! (THANK GOD FOR INTERNET!!!!!!) I actually just spent time talking to a real human who doesn't shreik or burp between sentences! Amazing!

No comments: