19 August, 2009

Vacation update III

Aida was a wonderful, absolutely amazing experience. I was kind of worried at first-- when we got to Verona it was 38 degrees C! But then the music started, and we forgot the heat and got sucked into the magic of the performance. All in all it lasted more than 3 hours-- the kids were tired, but they still enjoyed it, especially B.

This morning he confided that someone in his class once told him that his parents had forced him to sit through an opera, but that he didn't feel like we'd forced him at all yesterday because he'd really enjoyed it. Sounds good to me...

We're hanging out at the campsite today, swimming, reading and hanging out under our handy shade tree. Tomorrow we're headed to Venice.

I think it's time to close this down now. A big snail just fell onto my head from out of our handy-dandy-shade tree! ???!!! Watch out for flying kamikaze gastropods!

3 comments:

Goofball said...

3 hours???? are there sanitory breaks?

actually I don't think that I'm very much an opera lover but if I'd like to see one it's first of all Carmen and then Aida.


A snail! Whaaaaaaahaaa. OK now you must post a picture of it!

Betsy said...

There were a couple of longer intermissions and plenty of opportunities to head to the WC-- we definitely took advantage of them.

You would have liked this, though, even if you're not an opera fan-- the sets were spectacular and none of the scenes were very long.

It really helps if you know the story beforehand because then you can follow along. We sat next to some Dutch people who were clueless at first, but then after we'd explained the story they could follow along and got a lot more out of the whole experience...

I wish I could post pictures along with these posts! I can't believe I left the cable for the camera at home! We've taken some really nice pictures, though, so I'll go back and insert them into these posts when I get back home...

Jen said...

Oh... I love Aida! What a perfect first experience for the boys. And Venice! Oh... can I just have your life? Just for a few days? Please?