25 January, 2008

Is it her head that's shrinking or is it mine?

I was hiking up a very steep grassy hill this morning. The sun was shining, the temperature was perfect, and I was mesmerized by the rhythm of my breath and the pleasant tinkling of the tags attached to D's collar.

Even D seemed to be enjoying the exertion-- carefully following my every step. For once she didn't stop abruptly to eat rotten apples; a habitual action which pulls the leash taut and gives my shoulder joint a sudden jolt.

I had almost reached the end of my climb when I saw a black blur out of the corner of my eye. Turned my head to see a goofy black lab barreling across the slope toward me.

What a beautiful creature!


I turned back to see if D had noticed the oncoming projectile and was shocked to see an empty collar at the other end of my leash...

5 comments:

Jen said...

Well, this was worded perfectly! You have me laughing out loud! Glad it was a lovely hike, though.

Martina said...

I love it! It's happened to me once, except in my case I saw a blurred streak running *away* from me and thought, hmm, does somebody else in town have a German short-haired pointer?

africakidandtheworld said...

Those goofy dogs and their owners... ;)

Goofball said...

now I have cartoon-like visions of a dog with a shrinking head. Am I gooffy now?

Betsy said...

No, I think that must be how it happened. Her head shrank and she slipped right out of the collar without me noticing it. That's about the only plausible explanation I can come up with...